“40 Days and 40 Nights of God’s Word”
DAY 1: JULY 23
GENESIS 1 – GENESIS 28:22
This is probably the densest, most action-packed section of the Bible. As you can see from the Highlights below, the early chapters of Genesis cover all the major events that have become the foundational bedrock of Christianity. You don’t have to know much about the Bible to know the story of Adam and Eve or Noah or Sodom, but today you have the chance to learn about these people and events in detail and in chronological order. If you’re a born-again Christian, this is a history of your people. These are your spiritual kinfolk. Get to know them!
- The creation
- The temptation and fall of Adam and Eve
- Expulsion from the Garden of Eden
- Cain’s murder of Abel
- Noah’s lineage from Adam
- The ark and the flood
- God’s covenant with Noah
- Abram becomes Abraham
- God’s covenant with Abraham
- The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah
- The birth of Isaac
- Abraham’s sacrifice of Isaac
- Jacob and Esau
- Jacob tricks Isaac
POINTS TO PONDER:
- What reasons did God give for expelling Adam and Eve from the Garden? And who is God talking to in Genesis 3:22?
- Why do you think God decided to destroy his creation with a flood instead of some other means?
- What does the rainbow signify to God?
Bible Read-Through full schedule (July 23-August 31) on PDF: